HOW TO BURN MORE CALORIES
Many experts agree that the secret to losing weight is simple. You need to burn more calories than you take in each day. You can do that in two ways. One is to reduce the amount of food you eat. The other is to get your metabolism revved up. Your metabolism is your body’s internal engine. It regulates how well you burn fat, or store it as is the case for so many of us. As we age (and have babies and so forth and so on), it becomes harder for so many of uss to do this properly, but we can take action.
In this article, we’ll discuss six tips on how you can realistically burn off calories simply, easily and without much effort almost every day.
- Drink your fluids warm. Warm fluids will speed up your metabolic rate. Eating soup and hot (and spicy) foods will also raise your internal thermometer and get your metabolic rate revved up for at least half an hour to 3 hours afterwards. So, have a cup of tea (preferably green) and you may see the results in a smaller pant size soon afterwards.
- Take the stairs more. If you’re at home, don’t ask the kids to retrieve something upstairs for you. Get it yourself. If you’re at work and the department you need something from is just one floor up, walk and grab the item. The more steps you take every day will show up on your waistline. Even one or two extra flights a week will have a big impact over the course of a few months.
- Sit and fidget. Shake and wiggle. Move your muscles while watching TV. Stand and giggle. It’s okay to move your body. Clench and release your muscles while in bed. Even sedentary folks can benefit from a little bit more movement than they’re used to.
- Snack. Eat 4-6 smaller meals each day instead of 3 big meals. Spacing out your food in shorter intervals and eating it in smaller portions seems to aid your thyroid in processing it better and your metabolism in running smoother. So…whatever works for the thyroid, works for your weight loss!
- Can you run for 5 minutes? Great! Start with that. 5 minutes is better than no minutes of activity. Then build your activity up by 5 minute intervals at a time. Before you know it you’ll be up to 20 or 30 (or more) minutes…and you’ll be down how many dress sizes?
- Add strength training to your exercise regimen. Muscle is active tissue. Fat isn’t. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn even if you’re just sitting around. That’s right – you can burn calories if you just sit around if you have more muscle and less fat. So, what are you waiting for? Where are those weights at?
Other ideas for moving more include:
--- Tapping your feet to the music
--- Dancing with a friend, child or even solo
--- Jogging in place
--- Tai chi, qi gong or yoga
--- (Insert your idea here)!